Axis Communications, the world leader in network video, recently adds AXIS F44 Main Unit to its flexible and modular AXIS F Series. The series is based on a divided network camera concept where the camera is split into a sensor unit, made up of a lens and image sensor with a pre-mounted cable up to 12 m (39 ft.) long, and a main unit, which is the body of the camera. Since the main units and sensor units with different lens types are sold separately, customers can choose the components as required and can easily change them to fit the surveillance need. The products allow for a highly discreet installation since the small sensor units can be installed virtually out of view in tight places and the main unit can be placed up to 12 m away where there is space for it.
"AXIS F44 is another innovative product from Axis,” says Erik Frännlid, Axis’ Director of Product Management. “AXIS F44 provides a simple and cost-effective solution for monitoring up to four different areas within a site using just one main unit. The small modular sensor units can also be easily relocated or changed after the initial installation, giving users additional flexibility. It is an ideal solution for small video surveillance areas such as in stores, in and around ATMs and in buses.”
In the autumn, as part of a game called Stratocaching (which combines high-altitude balloons with geocaching) in the Czech Republic, an AXIS F44 Main Unit and two connected AXIS F1005-E Sensor Units were sent up in a stratospheric balloon. Recording views of the journey from the two sensor units simultaneously, AXIS F44 provided HDTV videos that included the balloon’s ascent to an altitude of 29.3 km (18 miles) above ground, the subsequent balloon burst, the distribution of the stratocaches with GPS transmitters and the dramatic fall with a parachute. (See video).
“The Stratocaching event clearly demonstrated the ruggedness and exceptional video performance of the AXIS F products,” says Frännlid. “AXIS F44 and AXIS F1005-E Sensor Units performed in turbulent conditions and extremely low temperatures. They are a testament to the high quality of Axis’ products.”
AXIS F44 is a high-performance unit that supports:
- Simultaneous streaming of four separate high-resolution 1080p videos at 12.5/15 frames per second (50/60 Hz) or four HDTV 720p videos at full frame rate
- Quad view, a stream made up of four separate views from the connected sensor units
- Two-way audio
- Input/output ports for external devices to enhance alarm management
- RS232 port for integration of external data to the video
- Local storage of recordings using its two built-in full-sized SD card slots
- Power over Ethernet, as well as the option of connecting to an 8-28 V DC power supply
- Intelligent video capabilities such as video motion detection, active tampering alarm and downloadable applications through the AXIS Camera Application Platform.
The four compatible AXIS F Sensor Units (with two different cable lengths to choose from—either 3 m/10 ft. or 12 m/39 ft.) are:
- IP66-rated AXIS F1005-E Sensor Unit with a standard lens and a 113° horizontal field of view for indoor, outdoor and mobile use
- AXIS F1015 Sensor Unit with a varifocal lens for a 53° to 108° horizontal field of view for indoor use
- AXIS F1025 Sensor Unit with a pinhole lens and a 92° horizontal field of view for indoor use
- IP66-rated AXIS F1035-E Sensor Unit with a fisheye lens for a 194° horizontal field of view for indoor, outdoor and mobile use.
AXIS F44 offers AXIS Camera Companion video management software and is supported by AXIS Camera Station and the industry’s largest base of video management software through the Axis Application Development Partner Program. AXIS F44 also includes support for AXIS Video Hosting System and ONVIF for easy camera system integration.