Published on 20 July, 2010
Proxim Wireless Corporation, a leading provider of complete indoor and outdoor wireless broadband ecosystems, recently announced its new Tsunami MP -8150-CPE (Customer Premise Equipment) series of products, designed to dramatically reduce the cost and complexity of deploying wireless broadband service for carriers and service providers of all sizes. The 8150-CPE products leverage the same high-performance 4G technology utilised in Proxim's Tsunami MP-8150 and QB-8150 line of products, and are designed to provide over 100 Mbps of performance. The new CPEs support 2x2 Multiple-Input and Multiple-Output (MIMO) and can be deployed in Non-Line-of-Sight (NLOS) situations, in both indoor and outdoor form factors, to enable quick installation even in hard to reach areas. The CPEs also support 256 bit AES encryption for high security applications. And at a list price of just $399, the 8150-CPE will enable service providers to deploy wireless networks that exceed the performance of Cable/DSL alternatives at a fraction of the cost previously possible, providing a quick Return on Investment (RoI). "Just a few years ago, service providers would have paid many times the cost of the new 8150-CPE just to provide voice service. Today they can deploy broadband anywhere, and at an impulse-buy price,"
said Craig Mathias, a Principal at the wireless and mobile advisory firm Farpoint Group. "The 8150-CPE extends an already industry-leading wireless broadband product line, addressing the global requirement to provide universal broadband connectivity cost-effectively. Proxim is building upon their years of experience in the carrier and service provider market and has introduced a product line that delivers what service providers everywhere are clamoring for."
Better Performance, Reduced Cost and Time-to-Market for Service Providers Consisting of both an outdoor and indoor form factor, the Tsunami 8150-CPE line of subscriber units is ideal for the carrier, service provider and WISP markets as it accelerates the service provider's break-even point by reducing the cost of delivering service to users. Whether deploying large-scale wireless networks or rural broadband connectivity, Proxim's 8150-CPE solutions deliver the following benefits:
- MIMO and advanced Orthogonal Frequency Division Multiplexing (OFDM) greatly enhance NLOS performance, improving deployment in challenging areas.
- Designed for quick, easy installation and compatible with all Tsunami MP-8100 products.
Reduced cost of deployment
- Supports both licensed frequency and license-free frequency bands. Supports 2.3 - 2.5 GHz and 4.9 - 6.1 GHz to maximise deployment flexibility in the field.
- License-free frequency bands worldwide provide reliable wireless broadband without the high cost of securing licensed frequencies.
- Simple installation eliminates the need for truck rolls and the associated costs.
- Throughput in excess of Cable/DSL with throughput of 100 Mbps.
- Supports up to 8 QoS classes, and supports up to 8 service flows per class.
- Flexible bandwidth allocation for tiered services -- allows increased throughput for end user and enhanced revenue for service provider without any additional expense.
Carrier-grade all-in-one CPE
- Small form factor subscriber station allows installation of high-capacity service independent of cell tower infrastructure.
- Advanced 256 bit AES encryption protects over-the-air transmission, while intracell blocking forbids direct communication between subscriber units.
- Deployment tools include antenna alignment and remote management configuration.
- Highly secured remote management access via SSL, SSH and SNMP v3 and built-in feature rich network protocols for bridging, routing and gateway functionality.
"The 8150-CPE is the latest addition to our high performance Tsunami 8100 series. The performance and value of the new 8150-CPE will drive a quicker RoI for WISPs and service providers," said Pankaj Manglik, President and CEO of Proxim Wireless. "We expect these new products to drive new profitable business models as service providers struggle to keep up with the explosion in data and video traffic without commensurate growth in ARPU. These new CPEs, along with the Tsunami MP- 8100 base stations, fill service providers' need to provide substantial bandwidth with minimal capital expenditure, across a wide range of frequencies, with both indoor and outdoor solutions."