|The study reveals that 51% of organisations have big doubts about their mobile content management processes
Only 18% of organisations are confident that their mobile policies are compliant with corporate policy and government regulation, according to research released recently by Accellion, Inc., the pioneer in providing enterprise-class, secure mobile productivity solutions, and AIIM, a global non-profit organsation that provides independent research, education, and certification programmes to information professionals. In addition, 51% of organisations have "big doubts" about their mobile content management processes.
The growing chasm between what mobile workers want and what IT departments can secure is causing friction for organisations in all industries. Only 30% of organisations have an approved BYOD (Bring Your Own Device) policy in place, yet 46% of respondents reported that information access via mobile is "essential" and another 24% cite it as "somewhat important."
“The growing need for mobile content access by employees is creating significant security headaches for organisations,” said Paula Skokowski, chief marketing officer of Accellion. “How employees access corporate information is changing, and organisations need to respond to these changes by implementing new mobile policies and processes, or risk playing security catch-up with their employees.”
With 70% of respondents expressing they are "concerned" and another 20% "extremely concerned" about mobile file sharing there is clear need for organisations to develop mobile content access policies and functionality.
Other findings from the report include:
- 63% of organisations want to eliminate or limit VPN use.
- Nearly two-thirds of respondents have or plan to allow official enterprise content management (ECM access) via mobile devices
- 91% of users must limit or control which sites or folders are accessible to end users on mobile devices, e.g., mobile users can access sales documents but not HR documents
- While 51% of large organisations have an MDM solution in place, only 24% of smaller organisations have such solutions.
- Only 14% of organisations have a corporate app store, with another 14% in the process of developing one.
To view the full research findings download a complimentary copy of the AIIM report entitled “Survey Report: Mobile Content Security and Productivity.”
The survey results quoted in this release are taken from a survey carried out between June 7 and July 8, 2013; from individual members of the AIIM community surveyed using a Web-based tool. Total number of respondents was 284, 64% are from North America and 25% from Europe. They cover a representative spread of IT professionals from industry and government sectors.