|BSIA’s ID section chairman, Anthony Pearlgood, gave an update of the section’s achievements over the past few years
The Information Destruction Section of the British Security Industry Association (BSIA) hosted its fifth successful Conference and Exhibition last week at the National Motorcycle Museum in Birmingham on 5th June 2013.
The day proved to be a successful day for both delegates and exhibitors alike, with delegates having the opportunity to attend a comprehensive line-up of expert speakers, and exhibitors the chance to showcase their products and services to attendees throughout the day.
A post-event survey of exhibitors revealed that 83% of those surveyed felt that the quality of visitors throughout the day was either excellent or good, with 100% of respondents also believing that the organisation of the event was excellent or good. In a further testament to the success of the day, 66% of exhibitors surveyed confirmed that they would be intending to exhibit at the event again next year, with the remaining 34% stating that they were also likely to return.
In terms of the conference, the day began with an introduction from current BSIA Information Destruction Section Chairman, Anthony Pearlgood, who welcomed delegates and exhibitors and gave an update of the section’s achievements over the past few years. Such achievements included the section’s extensive research into the use of information destruction services in various sectors, including education and healthcare, and the creation of the section’s first official promotional video, which was launched at IFSEC 2013 in May.
The guest speaker line-up then began with one of the country’s leading sales trainers, Mark Wormald, who gave an energetic presentation on ‘fishing for new clients’, discussing techniques for generating effective sales leads and understanding the needs of the customer.
Mark was followed by Ranjit Singh Baxi, Founder and Chairman of J and H Sales (International) Ltd, a company that has grown to become one of Europe’s leading fibre recycling exporters. Ranjit delivered an extremely topical presentation on the future of recovered fibre, providing interesting statistics on the growing demand and consumption of such materials around the globe, and giving an overview of the factors that should be taken into account when trying to meet the requirements of international markets.
"This event never fails to impress delegates and exhibitors alike, providing the perfect platform for industry professionals to share their expertise and keep informed as to what their competitors are doing"
Following a lunch break – where delegates were able to network with their peers and visit the extensive exhibition – Martin Hutchins, Founder of the Cambridge Professional Academy, completed the line-up.
Martin is no stranger to the conference, having been a guest speaker in previous years. This year, he presented on the topic of leadership and management, providing advice on how to inspire and motivate staff in order to get the best possible results within a business. The conference concluded with the ever-popular Q&A session with a panel of industry experts comprised of Reuben Bolton, of Bolton Brothers Ltd, Debra Smith, from Veolia Environmental Services and Stewart Bowles, of PHS Datashred.
Speaking on the success of the event, Anthony Pearlgood commented: “This event never fails to impress delegates and exhibitors alike, providing the perfect platform for industry professionals to share their expertise and keep informed as to what their competitors are doing.”
“The quality of this year’s speakers was another positive talking point, with each of our guest speakers providing presentations that were energetic, interesting and relevant to delegates. The event will no doubt continue to be a success in future years and I’d like to take a moment to thank this year’s kind sponsors Vecoplan and Shred-Tech.”
To keep informed about the work of the BSIA’s Information Destruction Section, or to enquire about next year’s event, visit http://www.bsia.co.uk/information-destruction/about-bsia-information-destruction.