A county water resources department (DWR), which services the water and sewage needs of almost a million residents in the county and neighbouring communities, was looking to install several hundreds of surveillance cameras at the large water treatment plant, as well as several remote locations/plants under their management.
Although they already had an existing solution, it involved complex integration of multiple hardware and software solutions for storage and networking in conjunction with OnSSI VMS and multiple cameras, the DWR was looking for a cost-effective replacement solution that would simplify the management of the existing system, and since the number of cameras at each treatment plant is expected to grow exponentially, the scalability of the new solution was also a very important consideration.
VSkyCube Hyperconverged Infrastructure Solution
Initial deployment of VSkyCube consists of a 3 x s200 cluster, supporting 40 IP cameras and 40TB of storagePromise, in conjunction with their partner ComTech, who took responsibility for management, setup and maintenance of the solution, offered the DWR their VSkyCube Hyperconverged Infrastructure Solution as a replacement and enhancement for their existing security storage infrastructure.
Initial deployment of VSkyCube consists of a 3 x s200 cluster, supporting 40 IP cameras and 40TB of storage.
The DWR’s high-end surveillance solution provides:
- Pre-integrated nodes that can be rapidly deployed and scaled for future deployments. VSkyCube software-defined approach allows ComTech to deploy and launch surveillance services with just a few clicks.
- A cost-effective, fully redundant platform for running their existing OnSSI video management, as well as secure storage for sensitive security video.
- Simple, powerful, centralised management with VSkyView allows the DWR personnel to manage, monitor, scale and adjust compute, storage and networking resources from a single pane-of-glass interface.
- Ability to scale and evolve to handle higher resolutions and additional cameras by simply adding additional VSky nodes for more storage or processing power. A crucial element, given the department’s expansion goals of more than 700 cameras in the near future.
Vess A3340 with 16-port PoE solutions
Easily scalable and flexible solution provides the capability to expand to add additional cameras, upgrade cameras to higher resolutionsVSkyCube pre-integrates computing, storage, and networking into hyperconverged nodes, specifically optimised for video surveillance workloads and brings the benefits of the hyper-scale datacentre to the county. All these advantages allowed the DWR to focus on the security, not the infrastructure.
The partnership with ComTech also resulted in installation of Vess A3340 with integrated 16-port PoE solutions, perfect for ‘all-in-one’ surveillance needs at smaller-scale sites, providing an affordable solution while still being capable of expanding as the number of cameras grows. Other departments within the county had different surveillance requirements that were met by the Vess A6120.
Results and benefits of the solution
- Cost-efficient solution eliminated the need for expensive discrete storage and networking. Replacement with hyperconverged node means Promise can provide high-quality support across the full scope of installations.
- Easily scalable and flexible solution provides the capability to expand to add additional cameras, upgrade cameras to higher resolutions, or increase retention times. The solution is anticipated to scale to 700+ cameras in the near future.
- High resilience and high availability features increased security of county surveillance operations, ensuring important video footage is captured and retained.
- Simple management and monitoring solution reduces overhead while enhancing operations and increasing flexibility.
- Solution can be readily applied by ComTech to future surveillance installations.