Published on 12 November, 2013
|Identive’s improved performance in Q3 is a positive backdrop to its transition
Identive reported its financial results for the third quarter (Q3) ended September 30, 2013.
Highlights of the quarter included:
- New management team begins simplification and focus of business
- 14% revenue growth year over year
- Achievement of $0.6 million adjusted EBITDA
- Gross proceeds from private placement of $7.1 million
- Strong demand for our cloud-based SaaS and NFC consumer products.
- Goodwill impairment related to non-strategic assets and U.S. Federal Government physical access business
Jason Hart, the newly appointed Chief Executive Officer of Identive, said, “In the last two months we have been focused on simplifying Identive Group’s business at all levels. Philosophically and practically we are converting from a group of individual businesses into a single, unified company focused on our high growth product lines. These changes are not complete but are resulting in operational costs savings and lower compliance costs, and are expected to improve our revenue with focused investment in a single global product and sales organisation. Our improved performance in Q3 is a positive backdrop to our transition and we are encouraged by the strong demand for our consumer and cloud security products.
“During the third quarter we received new orders for our cloud-based services, including a three-year contract to issue and manage trusted credentials for an international government’s healthcare program and the expansion of activities with a U.S. based Fortune 100 company. Our trusted NFC consumer products enjoyed increasing demand with the popularity of NFC enabled toys for video games. We expect that this trend will continue into Q4 and throughout 2014. Our overall sales backlog has continued to increase and we entered Q4 with committed orders and accounts receivables that represent nearly 40% of our annual revenues, which speaks to the fundamental strength of our sales offerings and pipeline for our trusted solutions.”
"Our overall sales backlog has
continued to increase and we
entered Q4 with committed
orders and accounts receivables
that represent nearly 40%
of our annual revenues"
Commenting on management’s near-term goals for the company, Hart stated, “While our pipeline remains strong and orders for our products continue to grow, our overall operating costs and access to working capital have challenged the business. We have taken steps to substantially reduce costs by simplifying our organisational architecture and consolidating or discontinuing under-performing assets. This will result in the divestiture of non-core activities and greater focus on our growing global markets. This activity will continue throughout Q4 and is already resulting in a fundamentally stronger and more focused business. The management team remains very focused on this restructuring in Q4 and will provide further guidance on our growth plans and market alignment in Q1.”
Financial results for Q3 2013 compared with Q3 2012
- Total revenues were $26.3 million, up 14% from $22.9 million.
- Revenues from the Identity Management Services & Solutions segment were $12.3 million, down 11% from $13.8 million. Sales of access control and security solutions decreased 12% year over year as a result of the U.S. Government federal budget sequester, but reflected significant improvement from the prior quarter as federal agencies adapted to lower budget levels and prioritised spending on security programs.
- Revenues from the ID Products segment grew 53% to $13.9 million, compared with $9.1 million. This growth was driven by a 131% increase in sales of RFID and NFC products for consumer electronics toys.
Outlook for Q4 2013
- GAAP gross profit margin improved to 43%, compared with 42%, primarily due to improving margins in RFID and NFC products arising from higher sales volumes and increased capacity utilisation.
- Base operating expenses, which include research and development, sales and marketing, and general and administrative costs, were unchanged at $12.1 million.
- Impairment charges to goodwill and long-lived assets were $22.9 million, compared with $5.9 million. In addition, restructuring costs of $1.3 million were recorded in Q3 2013.
- Including impairment charges and restructuring costs, GAAP net loss was $(24.2) million, or $(0.35) per share, compared with GAAP net loss of $(7.9) million, or $(0.13) per share.
- Excluding impairment charges and restructuring costs, non-GAAP net loss was $(1.0) million, or $(0.01) per share, compared with non-GAAP net loss of $(1.6) million, or $(0.03) per share.
- Adjusted EBITDA was $0.6 million, compared with $(0.2) million.
- Backlog at the end of Q3 was $20.0 million, reflecting orders over the next 12 months for NFC and reader products as well as payment and cloud-based systems; also on the order book is an additional $7.0 million from longer-term contracts. Of the total amounts, $7.0 million in current backlog and $3.0 million in longer-term contracts relates to businesses under review for possible divestiture.
- A common stock offering under a private placement was completed in August 2013, with gross proceeds of $7.1 million to be used to fund operations.
- Cash and cash equivalents were $9.5 million at September 30, 2013, compared with $3.7 million at June 30, 2013. Cash at the end of Q3 included gross proceeds of $7.1 million from the company’s private placement and $2.0 million of football match day concession receipts which were remitted to caterers at the beginning of October.
Based on its current expectations and the continued uncertainty associated with the U.S. Government business, management expects revenues of $25.0 million to $27.0 million for the fourth quarter of 2013, and further expects adjusted EBITDA of $(0.0) million to $1.0 million. In addition, and as referenced above, management is in the process of discontinuing underperforming assets which is expected to lead to divestment of certain businesses in the current quarter. Current guidance includes the expected results of these businesses of revenue of $5.0 million to $6.0 million and adjusted EBITDA loss of $(0.5) million to $0.0 million. The timing of such divestment is uncertain.
Conference Call and Webcast Information
Identive will host a conference call and audio webcast recently at 5:00 PM Eastern Time, which can be accessed by dialing 888.771.4371 (toll free within the U.S.) or +1 847.585.4405 (for international callers) and using passcode 36033941. A webcast of the call can be accessed by visiting the investor relations section of the Company’s website at www.identive-group.com, and by clicking on “Presentations, Reports & Webcasts,” where it also will be archived for those unable to listen to the live webcast. An audio replay of the call also will be available for one week and can be accessed by dialing 888.843.7419 (toll free within the U.S.) or +1 630.652.3042 (for international callers) and using passcode 36033941.
Non-GAAP gross profit margin, adjusted EBITDA and non-GAAP net loss and net loss per share all exclude various items that are detailed in the financial table and accompanying footnotes reconciling GAAP to non-GAAP results contained in this release. An explanation of these measures is also included below under the heading "Non-GAAP Financial Measures."