US Edition
Security camera lens, CCTV Camera, Digital Recorder, Telemetric Transmitter and Controller, Intruder Alarm Control Panel, Access Control Reader, Dome Camera
Home  |  Settings  |  Marketing Options  |  eNewsletters  |  About Us  |  FAQs    Join on LinkedIn
Unique environments

Network / IP - News

ABUS develops COWM300 carbon monoxide detector for residential applications

Published on 10 September, 2014

Carbon monoxide is the most underestimated danger inside the home. Many people have already lost their lives or been severely poisoned by this odourless yet fatal gas. The risk of carbon monoxide poisoning exists throughout the year in any part of the home environment where a combustion device is present (such as a fireplace or gas heater). ABUS has specially developed an alarm for analysing the carbon monoxide content in the home, which immediately signals when the CO concentration in the room changes and poses a risk of injury or death.

Smoke alarm devices have long since become standard parts of any household. Carbon monoxide detectors, however, remain low on the list of household priorities. This is despite carbon monoxide being invisible and odourless, unlike smoke, and therefore significantly more dangerous. With the COWM300 carbon monoxide detector, ABUS offers a tailor-made product that protects against this risk, significantly increasing personal safety in the process. Certified under EN 50291-1 and featuring a detection range of up to 60 m2 and an electrochemical sensor that lasts 7 years, the ABUS COWM300 reliably shows the current carbon monoxide concentration in the room via an illuminated display. At the first sign of an increasing CO concentration in the detector range, the ABUS COWM300 emits an audible and visible alarm for the building's inhabitants. The CO detector also indicates when its battery is low and has a test function. The ABUS COWM300 can be wall-mounted or free-standing. The carbon monoxide detector should at least be used in rooms with combustion devices (open fireplaces, gas heaters, continuous-flow heaters) and also in bedrooms. The detector should be mounted at least 15 cm below the ceiling or at eye level with the display.

Carbon monoxide – the most underestimated danger inside the home

Carbon monoxide is a gas that results from any combustion of fossil fuels such as wood, gas or petrol with a simultaneously low supply of oxygen. It becomes dangerous when the oxygen supply is reduced and/or the gas accumulates in an enclosed space, e.g. due to closed windows and doors. Carbon monoxide (CO) should not be underestimated. It is invisible, tasteless, odourless and does not cause immediate reactions when inhaled (such as coughing). People experiencing carbon monoxide poisoning first display symptoms such as headache, dizziness and nausea. After continued exposure to high concentrations of the gas, victims then lose consciousness and eventually die.

Bookmark and Share
Latest in
Network / IP Security Events

See privacy and cookie policy
Browsing from the Americas? Looking for US Edition?
View this content on US Edition, our dedicated portal for our Americas audience.
Do not show me this again
International EditionUS Edition