Published on 10 February, 2014
Axis Communications, the market leader in network video, has upgraded its entire top-of-the-line AXIS Q60 PTZ dome network camera series for improved image quality, light sensitivity and enhanced capacity for intelligent video.
AXIS Q60 Series – which includes indoor, outdoor ready (-E) and active cooling enclosure (-C) models – now features nine new robust, high-speed pan/tilt/zoom cameras for wide area surveillance in indoor, outdoor and desert-like environments:
- AXIS Q6042/-E/-C with Extended D1 resolution and 36x optical zoom
- AXIS Q6044/-E/-C with HDTV 720p and 30x optical zoom
- AXIS Q6045/-E/-C with HDTV 1080p and 20x optical zoom
These PTZ dome IP cameras are ideal for city and perimeter surveillance, airports, train stations and harbours, along pipelines, construction and manufacturing sites, as well as sports stadiums.
“At Axis, we always strive to make our cameras even better and the improvements we have made to the AXIS Q60s are particularly evident with the HDTV models, especially in low-light situations,” says Erik Frännlid, Axis’ director of product management. “Customers will appreciate that we have maintained the successful form factor and mechanics that make AXIS Q60 cameras reliable and easy to install.”
AXIS Q6044/-E/-C PTZ domes have 30x optical zoom, compared with 18x in previous 720p models, and their light sensitivity is nearly three times better than the industry norm for HDTV cameras. They also support electronic image stabilization to reduce effects of camera vibrations i.e. from wind or traffic – to provide clearer, more useful video. In addition, they support automatic defog to detect fog in the scene and digitally filter it out of view for clearer video.
AXIS Q6045/-E/-C PTZ domes also have better light sensitivity than its AXIS Q6035/-E/-C predecessors. Furthermore, they have additional built-in video analytics including highlight compensation to mask bright lights for ease of viewing, object removed, fence detector, object counter and enter/exit detection.
An added feature in all new AXIS Q60 cameras is shock detection, which mechanically detects and triggers an alarm if the camera has been hit.
The new AXIS Q60 cameras are equipped with a powerful CPU (central processing unit) and co-processor. They enable better image quality and usability, with lower noise, higher light sensitivity for sharper images and more efficient video compression with H.264 Main Profile.
They also provide improved support for simultaneous streaming of multiple, individually optimised video streams, providing video management systems with increased flexibility and manageable network and storage use. In addition, there is more processing power and capacity for intelligent video applications, which are helpful in alerting and enabling operators to act on potential alarm situations.
The day/night functionality in the cameras is now also adjustable, allowing operators to determine when the camera should automatically shift between day mode (when video is presented in colour) and night mode (when video is presented in black and white) to take advantage of infrared light in low light situations. Brightness control also allows operators to make the dark areas of a scene brighter.
The outdoor-ready AXIS Q6042-E/Q6044-E/Q6045-E models have better surge protection, fulfilling EN/IEC 61000-4-5, EN 55024, EN 50121-4 (railway), IEC 62236 (railway) standards.
Additional features of AXIS Q60 Series cameras include:
- 360° continuous pan for wide area surveillance with precision and high-speed panning/tilting of up to 450° per second
- High zoom in combination with high resolution enables detailed surveillance at far distances
- Guard tour enables the cameras to be automatically directed to 256 preset positions, which can be easily set up with the tour recording functionality
- Support for video motion detection, auto-tracking, Active Gatekeeper and AXIS Camera Application Platform that enables the installation of additional intelligent video applications.
- IP66 and NEMA 4X ratings for outdoor-ready -E and -C models, ensuring protection against dust, rain and snow. AXIS Q60-E cameras support Arctic Temperature Control for safe start-up even at temperatures as low as -40°F/°C. AXIS Q60-C cameras with active cooling can operate in temperatures as high as 167°F (75°C) and meet the tough military standard, MIL-STD-810G, ensuring reliable operation in harsh weather conditions such as sandstorms
- Built-in slot for full-sized SD/SDHC/SDXC memory card for storing recordings locally
- Highest degree of security, including HTTPS encrypted video streams that do not affect performance, and IPv6 support in addition to IPv4
- Power over Ethernet support that enables greater convenience and easier installation as both video data and PTZ control can be sent over a single cable
- Support for fibre optic network connection with AXIS Q60-C models
AXIS Q60 series cameras are supported by the industry’s largest base of video management software through the Axis Application Development Partner Program, AXIS camera station and the complimentary AXIS camera companion. The cameras also include support for AXIS Video Hosting System for hosted video installations and ONVIF for easy camera system integration.