Published on 12 April 2013
Proxim Wireless Corporation, a global leader in advanced indoor and outdoor radio systems, recently introduced the latest member of the ORiNOCO family of enterprise-class Wireless Local Area Network (WLAN) access points – the ORiNOCO® AP-8100 (http://www.proxim.com/products/enterprise-wireless-lan-wi-fi-mesh).
"The ORiNOCO AP-8100 has an arsenal of features that makes Proxim access points a great product for enterprises," said Martin Bauer of Bauer Audio, who has deployed ORiNOCO access points in multi-storied hotel projects.
The AP-8100 is an OFDM, MIMO 2x2, 802.11n dual radio access point. One radio operates in the 2.4 GHz spectrum, while the other operates in the 5 GHz spectrum for greater flexibility and interference avoidance and improving maximum throughput. It provides 300 Mbps data rate per radio for an aggregate data rate of 600 Mbps in a single, low-cost product. The AP-8100 product is 802.3af compliant, enabling PoE (Power-over-Ethernet) (IEEE 802.3 af/at) and deployment in areas where power outlets are not available without the need for power injectors. In addition, Proxim’s newest ORiNOCO access point has a sleek, lightweight, compact design to blend seamlessly into an enterprise environment.
The AP-8100 product also has the full suite of features enabled by Proxim’s ORiNOCO® software that runs the AP-8100. These features include:
- Cloud based wireless network management: The controller-less AP-8100 can be managed remotely yet securely by ProximVision ES network management software for rapid network deployment, advanced security, mobility, and system-wide visibility
- Up to 8 Virtual AP (VAP) per radio module, with each VAP getting its own SSID and BSSID, multicast rate, security level, QoS level, VLAN ID, and maximum number of associated clients
- 20 and 40 MHz channel support
- Cell size support: artificially change receiver threshold to avoid ambient noise
- WDS (Wireless Distribution System) with optimisation mode: allows the creation of an RF point to point link between two access points (including with Proxim’s other ORiNOCO® access points)
- Security feature set including WEP, TKIP and AES encryption based on 802.11i standard with 802.1x Radius based authentication and Local or Radius based MAC address authentication
- Wireless Multimedia Extension based on 802.11e EDCA standard
- Packet Forwarding: forward all wireless packet toward a gateway which is useful in hotspot environment and advance filtering based on MAC address, TCP/UDP port or protocol