Located in the islands of Canary, Spain, the Tenerife Tram (Spanish: Tranvía de Tenerife), a light rail/tram system inter-links the island and passes through various corners of the city via underground tunnels, high-speed express ways and densely populated localities transporting the citizens of the island.
Concerned with the growing threat spanning from anti-social elements to force majeure events, the Tenerife Tram management team decided to implement a video surveillance solution to keep a "round-the-clock "watch of not just travelers within the tram but also areas and property along the complete tram line.
Implementing a video surveillance solution meant placing cameras in remote spots such as underground tunnels, busy streets- which was just the tip of the iceberg. The real matter of concern lied with the mammoth cost of connecting the cameras with wire lines for transferring the video feeds captured to the head quarters, which involved digging, trenching of wires underground not to mention the effort and the cost of manual labor.
Challenged with the rising expenditure of the project, the Tenerife Tram management looked towards wirelessly connecting the CCTV cameras, but with constant doubts over the ability of wireless devices to transmit high resolution, real-time video and audio feeds with high uptimes.
Upon learning the concerns, Proxim Wireless provided a solution that simply leapt over these challenges, allowing a virtually unlimited number of video surveillance cameras to be deployed quickly, easily and cost-effectively. With the new security system in place high resolution, real-time video from each security camera is transmitted directly to a Proxim base station in a regional security center or onsite security office where security officials view videos within and outside the tram system, thereby providing the Tenerife tram management a scalable, reliable and last of all a cost-effective security solution.
- Tenerife Tram required high-bandwidth connectivity to support the ubiquitous CCTV camera
- Connecting cameras inside the tram and along the track involving connectivity in underground tunnels and densely populated areas, to a centralised office.
- A Cost-effective solutions that was low on capital and recurring expenditure
- Proxim Tsunami MP.11-5054-BSU - High-speed, easy-to-install, Multi-point wireless device with fast hand-offs for mobility
- Proxim Tsunami MP.11-5054-SU - Cost-effective, fast handoffs and easy-to-install, Multi-point wireless devices
- Proxim Vision ES - Wireless network management, deployment and device configuration management solution
- The Tenerife Tram Surveillance Solution was able to effortlessly and quickly deploy the surveillance cameras
- Proxim provided high uptime and high band-with (upto 4 Mbps) video transmission between the cameras and the security offices
- Proxim's wireless solutions cost-effectively delivered connectivity along the track and within the tram