Published on 4 June 2011
D-Link has recently announced an addition to its EasySmart range of switches to help small businesses looking to cost-effectively manage rising data volumes passing through their networks. The new DGS-1100 series combines Gigabit Ethernet switching with the latest energy saving technology. As part of D-Link's Smart family the DGS-1100 has been developed to sit between the company's unmanaged and Web Smart switches.
The DGS-1100 series is part of D-Link's third generation Green Ethernet switches, which comply with the new IEEE 802.3az Energy Efficient Ethernet (EEE) standard. This means it will dramatically reduce power consumption by switching into a low-power state during periods of low network usage, without interruption to the connection.
The D-Link DGS-1100 automatically prioritises traffic across the network, ensuring business-critical applications run smoothly and that every employee has the best possible network experience. It also means an end to the frustration of sluggish downloads, poor quality video conferences and slow access to internal files. Furthermore, for periods of low network usage, the DGS-1100 automatically switches to ‘sleep' mode, resulting in energy savings of up to 85 per cent for businesses.
Chris Davies, general manager of D-Link UK & Ireland, said: "The DGS-1100 series is the first of a new generation of entry-level managed switches and furthers the breadth of our green switching product portfolio. This EasySmart switch is ideal for businesses looking to effectively manage network traffic, but without the cost or complexity usually associated with a traditional managed switch. The easy installation and range of features of the DGS-1100 removes the barrier of entry for managing networks and ensures that employees will be able to access the network, transfer large files and use online services without loss of speed or quality."
The D-Link DGS-1100 is the first switch within D-Link's new EasySmart range with Gigabit switching. The product is targeted at businesses looking to invest in a scalable network, which is easy to deploy and manage. The EasySmart range is available in both a 16 and 24 port version and includes the following key features:
• Gigabit technology - allows significantly faster data transfer for quicker download speeds and data access online and internally
• Bandwidth prioritisation - ability to prioritise certain activities, such as video conferencing or file access
• Green technology - complies with IEEE 802.3az Energy Efficient Ethernet (EEE) standard to reduce electricity costs
- Easy to set up and configure - no IT experience needed
- Fan-less technology - saves energy with low noise output
• Compact size - fits in any office space
• Create virtual networks - offers ability to completely segregate network access e.g. for finance, HR or other sensitive uses